Well, hello there!

Why, hello there! Welcome to If Nails Make You Happy, a blog about my obsession with nail polish. I hope my posts make you happy...and if they don't, well, that's not my problem, is it?

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Glue Basecoat...is...MAGIC!?

If you follow the nail bloggers of the world, you've already gotten the memo: glue makes a rockin' awesome basecoat for glitter manicures. If you haven't heard the news yet, I'm here to let you know that it's true - using regular white school glue makes life at least a billion times easier when it comes to glitter nail polish removal!


Literally ALL you do is fill an empty nail polish bottle with school glue. If it's too thick for your liking when you try to apply it, just thin it with a little bit of water. Check out how well it worked with an unnamed Forever21 glitter nail polish...


Yes, it's a little bit creepy. But for all of the time and pain and agony of glitter removal that this technique saves me, I think I can live with a little creepy. 

If you're wondering how to make this work yourself, it's simple! Literally...

1. Fill empty nail polish bottle with liquid school glue.
2. Brush THICK coat onto nail. Let dry completely - glue will dry to a matte finish; that's how you know it's done.
3. Apply your glitter nail polish like you usually would over a normal basecoat! Follow with topcoat, or whatever you normally do.
4. Once you're tired of looking at your gorgeous glitter nails, simply peel your nail polish off! If it's been a day or so, the nail polish will be completely hard and come off in full pieces like in the above picture; if it's only been a few hours, the nail polish will get kinda smushy (yeah, that's a word...at least it is now!) and tacky, but it'll still come off cleanly with a little effort.
5. Spend a couple seconds gawking at how weird it looks to literally have nail-shaped pieces of dried nail polish in front of you. Then throw them away before you get completely weirded out.

So there you have it! If you don't have your own empty bottles of nail polish...or school glue?...contact me and I'll try to work something out so you can try out this magical technique yourself! It'll probably be available as a custom-order item on my Etsy shop (the link is at the top of my blog!) for around $2 a mini bottle or $5 for a full sized. Let me know if you're interested!

Have you tried any other crazy magical glitter-removal techniques that work?

Stay happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment