Well, hello there!

Why, hello there! Welcome to If Nails Make You Happy, a blog about my obsession with nail polish. I hope my posts make you happy...and if they don't, well, that's not my problem, is it?

Friday, August 10, 2012

nails inc. Magnetic Effect - Trafalgar Square

Hey guys! I'm really into "special effects" that I can do with my nails, and one of the easiest effects has to be the magnetic effect. Plenty of companies have taken their swing at the magnetic trend by now, and unfortunately, I've only been able to try the nails inc. magnetic polishes. But that's alright - I love them enough that I've never felt the need to branch out and try others!

nails inc. Whitehall, Trafalgar Square, Houses of Parliament
Originally, nails inc. released three colors: Trafalgar Square (silver chrome), Houses of Parliament (purple), and Whitehall (teal). Apparently there was a gold as well, but it was discontinued and now nearly impossible to find. Now there's a whole bunch of colors, including a glittery gold!

Now on to Trafalgar Square...

As per the directions, I did one coat of base coat then let it dry, and then one coat of the polish without using the magnet. nails inc. has an amazing formula, and Trafalgar Square was actually almost opaque! (Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a picture of my nails then.)

Once that first coat of color dried, I worked on each nail, one at a time. The first time I tried to use a magnet, it ended up looking pretty sloppy, so if you can't get it right away, don't despair! the nails inc. magnet is fairly easy to work with; there's a raised edge at one end to put on your cuticle so you know exactly how to place the magnet, AND you don't accidentally touch the magnet to the wet polish. All you need to do is paint another coat of Trafalgar Square, then hold the magnet over your nail for anywhere from 8-15 seconds (I do 15 to make sure the magnetic effect works).

After you've done this for every nail, it should look like this:

nails inc. Trafalgar Square

If you try this out yourself, you'll probably notice that it's a lot harder to get the effect to cover your thumb than it is for the rest of your nails. While I haven't yet perfected the magnet technique either, I find that it's a lot easier to get full coverage with the magnet effect if you tilt the magnet left and right on your thumb for a few seconds.

Once you've gotten the hang of the timing and the magnet, this manicure is actually pretty easy to do! And if the magnetic look itself doesn't make you happy, I can assure you that the "ooh"s and "aah"s of your friends will!

4 comments:

  1. I saw online that nail's inc has a 'fishtail' version to this and went to buy it as soon as it came out (I got the green and gold), but when I tried to use the magnet the result didn't look like the picture shown... any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kelsey!
      I have the fishnet magnetic polishes,too! They're a lot trickier than the regular wave ones. You have to hold the magnet a lot closer to your nail (be careful not to actually touch the magnet to the nail!) for a little longer than you do the others.
      Hope this helped!

      Delete
    2. I tried what you suggested just now and held the magnet closer and it worked! Before I was holding it too far away from the nail because I was afraid it was going to touch the nail, but you do really need to hold it a lot closer! Now it looks pretty much exactly like the picture! Thank you so much! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh and do you think you could post a picture of the fishnet polish? I'd really like to see how they look on your nails... thanks!

    ReplyDelete