Well, hello there!

Why, hello there! Welcome to If Nails Make You Happy, a blog about my obsession with nail polish. I hope my posts make you happy...and if they don't, well, that's not my problem, is it?

Saturday, August 18, 2012

IT'S MAGIC! Del Sol "Ruby Slipper"

I kid you not. Today, I've got magical nail polish for you.

Okay, so maybe not EXACTLY magic. But it's close enough! If you've heard of the Del Sol company, you've probably seen their amazing line of clothes that change color in the sun's UV (I think?) rays. Well, not only do they have stunning shirts that change color...THEY HAVE NAIL POLISH!

If I could have, I would have bought them all. I kid you not. But, unfortunately, I couldn't, so I settled on the one that I thought had the most impressive change: Ruby Slipper. 

Del Sol Ruby Slipper - indoors
Granted, it doesn't look like much more than your average silver glitter nail polish in this shot. It looks like something you'd only use every once in awhile as a topcoat over something, right? In fact, it's pretty transparent on the nail:

Ruby Slipper, 2 coats
It WOULD look very nice over a lot of different colors though, right? Anyway, I decided to play around with it and see how many coats I'd need for opacity. 

Ruby Slipper, 4 coats

Ruby Slipper, 6 coats

Ruby Slipper, 12 coats
Yes...that does say 12 coats. Twelve! By that time, the layer of polish over my nails was so thick it looked like fake or gel nails, which I found pretty amusing:

DO YOU SEE HOW THICK THAT IS? :D
So far, just a boring silver glitter that will probably take AGES to remove because it's so many layers. But, fear not! This is Del Sol, which is synonymous with not boring, and it must be called Ruby Slipper for some reason, right?

I walked outside this morning to get the mail, and I literally almost tripped over something when I saw my nails. It was THAT exciting.

BAM! Amazing.
See how much the color changed in the bottle too?! I was literally flipping out in front of my house. And then I thought, Hmm...I wonder if the color change is this mind-blowing even without twelve coats! Because, you know, not everyone will have the time or patience or will of mind to paint each nail twelve times...

Ruby Slipper, 3 coats, indoors
Ruby Slipper, 3 coats, outside
IT'S JUST AS MAGICAL! I think I even like the way 3 coats looks outside better than 12! It's got a really pretty pink jelly quality that's a lot more playful than 12 coats...but hey, if I'm going to do 12 coats of nail polish anyway, I don't want playful. I mean serious BUSINESS.

Once I got over how trippy the color change was, I really went to town taking pictures of Ruby Slipper. I was that excited. Of course, anybody who knows me knows that it's not incredibly difficult to excite me. But I was EXTRA excited by this insane nail polish.

IT TOTALLY LOOKS LIKE GEL!


Obviously, Ruby Slipper made me immensely happy. But the great thing was that I can see myself using Ruby Slipper again, now that I know I DON'T actually need to do 12 coats to make them look good. The formula was pretty good, too, which surprised me, and the finish was smooth and didn't eat topcoat.

Next time I'm at a Del Sol store, I'm definitely going to stock up on more colors. What do you think of Ruby Slipper? Is the effect incredibly, insanely, awesomely, amazingly, wonderstrikingly cool? (YES...) Or does it feel "little-kid" to you?

Stay happy!

4 comments:

  1. This is amazing. I'm sooo going to buy me some of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I love it...if you can't find a store anywhere, you can also order them online, but they're cheaper in-store.

      Delete
    2. Are there stores around this area? I've never heard of them!

      Delete
    3. I just checked, and I think the 2 closest stores are Monterey and San Francisco. There's a cluster in Southern California as well, and the Tahoe store where I got mine!

      Delete