Well, hello there!

Why, hello there! Welcome to If Nails Make You Happy, a blog about my obsession with nail polish. I hope my posts make you happy...and if they don't, well, that's not my problem, is it?

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Zoya Jelly Sandwich!

"Is that a band, song, place, or actual sandwich?"

Well, to my friend who actually asked me that and anybody else who may not know, a jelly sandwich is when you layer glitter nail polishes in between jelly polishes for a cool depth-y effect. I'm new to both jelly nail polishes and the whole concept of jelly sandwiches, too, so it took a little experimenting before I was ready for this post.

So now, with no further ado, is Zoya Frida with Zoya Maisie!

Zoya Frida (teal jelly) and Zoya Maisie (blue flakie)

I'm a major fan of any type of cool nail thing that doesn't require me to be artistically talented at all (which I'm definitely not). Hence my love for trippy topcoats...including flakies! Maisie is one of three flakie polishes Zoya released for spring of 2012, but I only got Maisie because she was the blue one...and most of my nail polishes are blue.

Jelly nail polishes are another cool effect kind of nail polish: they're EXTREMELY sheer (you can see through them), but when you build them up, you get a kind of squishy - "jelly" - look. They're also super shiny and perfect for layering!

For this manicure, I did 3 coats of Frida, 2 of Maisie, and then another coat of Frida.





You'll notice some tip wear...which was actually pretty minimal for my standards. These nails went through a whole day and a swim practice and they haven't even chipped yet!



I really liked how much the different tones of Maisie showed through the layer of Frida! Can you see how it's really green sometimes, and really blue in other lights? If Zoya Wednesday with nails inc. Electric Lane was my summer mermaid-y manicure, these are definitely my fall mermaid nails! (Because, yes...there should be mermaid nails for every season, no?) 



I enjoyed taking pictures of my nails and watching them change color so much that I started playing with the ways I held my bottle...how do you like them? 




Yeah...if you haven't picked up on it yet, I enjoy taking pictures of my nails a LOT. Almost as much as I love actually doing my nails...

If you're wondering, I don't think THAT many (six!) coats of nail polish total would have been necessary. My nails are HORRIBLY stained right now, and it was almost impossible to hide that with just a few coats of Frida. I'd say if your nails are normal-looking (as in not a plethora of different colors smashed together), you could probably do two coats of Frida, one of Maisie, and then one more Frida.

Any more ideas for jelly sandwiches? I've got Zoya Paloma, Frida's pink sister, sitting on my desk just waiting to be used!

Stay happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment