Well, hello there!

Why, hello there! Welcome to If Nails Make You Happy, a blog about my obsession with nail polish. I hope my posts make you happy...and if they don't, well, that's not my problem, is it?

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Focus on French - Part 1

Good morning! Unless it's not morning where you are. Then good afternoon, night, or whatever.

Anyways, I'm not sure what's going on in the rest of the world, but in America, it's Prom season! Teenage girls all over the country - myself included - have been rushing to their malls and boutiques and sketchy online stores in search of the perfect dress; ankles are breaking as girls try on twenty-inch heels; hair salons and beauty parlors are swamped...and nail salons, too, are finding themselves in the prime of their existence right about now.

I, as you probably all can imagine, am completely composed and have all of my Prom-related business in order. I just ordered two dresses online because I can't decide which, have a hair appointment booked for the day of the event that's actually during a swim meet, and I have no idea how I'm going to do my nails.

There's not much I can do for the first two major issues, but at least I can work on the nail situation! Which is why I'm going to do a series of posts for the next few weeks - not just for myself, but for anyone else who's seriously contemplating how their manicures are going to look on that special night - on the always-classy style that matches literally everything: French nails!

So here's French-with-a-twist style 1:




It's just a basic French tip, with some white dots...and pretty unfortunate-looking stars. (Yeah, they're supposed to be stars.) I think some time I'll re-do this mani, but just with a bigger dot or something instead of the wannabe star. Either way, I think I do still like this look!

(Side note...let's all take a moment to silently applaud how much my French tip skills have improved over the last few months...okay thanks.)

And here's French-with-a-twist style 2:




After doing a regular French tip, I used plastic wrap to dab more white down my nails, making a kind-of gradient. I didn't originally intend for the gradient to be this sharp, but I think I actually like it - it makes the French thing more obvious. After it dried, I brushed a thin coat of nails inc. Electric Lane Holographic Topcoat over just the part with white, but because there wasn't much sun out the day I did these nails, I couldn't get a really good, holographic-y picture that showed the glitter.

Sorry about the slightly blurry pictures for this second style - if you couldn't guess, this is my right hand. And, sadly enough, it's gotten to the point where I can paint my right hand completely competently, but I still do a rather pathetic job photographing it. Oh well - I think the effect I was going for with this French mani was fairly obvious, right?

So that's my first set of French-inspired nails that might be suitable for Prom. Any other ideas? I'll be following up with several more French tip elaborations...provided I can think of some.

Stay happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment